Friday, October 1, 2010

I know, I know I am so far behind….

Things are going well with Miss Sarah. She is such a sweet, sassy little girl! She is picking up the language more and more and she is sleeping all night most nights. We had Sarah evaluated by Early Invention and she is about 10-11 months behind her actual age. Of course, her being behind in her speech is a huge part of all of this. She is going to be evaluated by speech, occupational, and physical therapists. I am excited about her getting the help she needs. I know she will catch up. I am amazed how much she has changed since July 11th. She sometimes seems like a different child. One of the programs that are offered by EI is a mom morning out on Tuesdays. This would offer Sarah some socialization time with other children and it is a place where she can she can work on her speech and social skills. At first, I wasn’t going to let her go, but I think I may. She would love it and it would give me some time to myself to do homework or shop. I have class every other Tuesday so she would only attend every other Tuesday.
Sarah is having surgery to remove his extra thumb on November 8th. She will be in a cast on 3-4 weeks. The cast will go up to her shoulder. I know…that seems crazy doesn’t it? The doctor said that if he only casted her to her elbow, she would take the cast off. I know that she will be okay, but I wish that she didn’t have to go through all of that. I know that I will be worried that day, but right now, I am okay with it. Let’s pray that she doesn’t use the cast as a weapon! J
One of the hardest things about adopting Sarah is the stress it has put on Todd’s and I relationship. We were so used to doing our own thing and spending as much time as we wanted to together. I miss that time with him. I have been feeling lonely lately. I miss work and my freedom. I love Sarah and am so grateful, but I miss my old life sometimes. Honestly, I feel like my life has changed so much more than Todd’s has. It isn’t his fault, but it is true. I am grateful for my time at home with Sarah, but it is hard sometimes. Being a parent is hard, lovely, heartbreaking, frustrating, fulfilling, and wonderful! I don’t think that women often feel the freedom to express how hard it is to be a mother. It is hard for dads too.
Let me share one of the sweetest moments of my life….last night when I was rocking my Sarah to sleep, she was laying on my chest, sat up and proceeded to kiss my lips, cheeks, nose, and forehead. She moved my face side to side and smiled sweetly at me. I think Sarah wants to take care of me sometimes. She is lovely….!
I promise to try and write more often!! 

3 comments:

Jen said...

Ah Maria, you are such a wonderful insightful person! You have got it all together, don't you worry!! Thank you for sharing your life and your thoughts, I know we don't talk like we used to, but know that you are in my heart always.

I think I'm driving past your parents' house every week now, as I take Connor to Fencing at the Lake YMCA in Hartville. Have they moved yet?

Joanna B said...

Maria, I so appreciate your honesty! It IS hard to go from being "just the two of us" for so many years to being parents of a toddler, and all the baggage that comes with them! I'll be praying for you guys with Sarah's thumb removal and cast!

Anonymous said...

I understand about missing your old life. I do too but then a good moment happens with my boys. I know when they do leave, I will miss them and wish the were back.

Love,
Danielle