Friday, October 29, 2010


Anxiety….

I have been having so much anxiety lately that I often wake up in the middle of the night….worrying. Sarah has been sleeping all night and I have been awake. How frustrating. I am concerned about Sarah’s surgery. It is on November 8th. I am not necessarily concerned about anything happening to her, but I am worried that she is going to be so frustrated wearing a cast. I know that she will be in some pain, but she is TOUGH, right? A mother never wants to see her baby in pain. I am concerned that the surgery may hinder some of the attachment progress that we have made. Our attachment seems to loom over every decision that we make. Today, I was frustrated and I yelled at Sarah. She was whining and whining and I just couldn’t take it anymore. I felt guilty. I apologized to her, but I don’t think that she understood what I was saying. I know that yelling isn’t productive. I wish I didn’t get so frustrated. I feel inadequate most of the time. I want to be the mother that Sarah needs so much.  I know that attachment is a process and that we haven't even been home for four months yet. I think that I expect too much. I need to slow down. I need to let the process happen and trust God. I just want to be the mommy needs! Often, I don’t know what she needs. Her not being able to communicate with us is much more difficult than I thought it would be. We are trying to get a speech and physical evaluation for Sarah. The early interventionist is supposed to set it up, but she said that everyone is full. I know she is trying and I don’t blame her, but the overall system is messed up. Sarah needs the services and they should be provided for her in a timely manner. Todd is on a new work schedule. He gets home an hour later each day, but he has every other Monday off. Of course, I go to my internship site on Monday afternoon so I don’t even get to spend the day with him and Sarah. I am so tired of school. It just isn’t a priority for me anymore. I want to enjoy it, but I don’t. I probably should have taken the semester off, but I was afraid that I would never go back. I know going to school was something that God wanted me to do, but it is so hard right now! Todd and I never get to spend much time together anymore. I miss him. We went out for the first time last weekend alone. It was so wonderful. My parents watched Sarah so we didn’t have to worry about her. We are going to try and go out once a month! I hope that we can. We need to. It is good for us and good for Sarah to see us enjoy each other. I feel like this post is full of complaints…I am sorry! Here are some updated pictures of my beauty…..


2 comments:

SarahinSC said...

I love how honest you are. Being a parent naturally means second guessing yourself constantly. It's full of self-doubt and thinking back on every little decision and action you've made. But, when it comes right down to it, yes, we make mistakes as parents, but 95% of the time we do the right thing for our children and that's what counts. Try to not be so hard on yourself. God put Sarah in your hands because He knew you were equipped to be her mom. Keep on plugging along! Some days are awesome and some days just plain old suck, but the horrible days make the bad ones that much better!

Teresa Driggers said...

Dear Maria, I feel you are doing an AWESOME job as Sarah's mother. I cannot imagine the level of frustration but I can listen and understand your feelings. Look at how VERY much you HAVE accomplished with the communication gap and Remember who is ultimately in charge - Jesus. I have been praying for y'all and Sarah about her upcoming surgery - have kept it in my mind ever since you posted the date. As you said she is TOUGH and this too shall pass.

I KNOW you are one INCREDIBLE woman and you happen to have a LOT on your plate right now - Breathe and KNOW God WILL Get you through to lighter days. Don't you worry a bit about pouring out your heart on your blog - we want and need to know how you are so we can lift you up, Cheer you on as well as share in all the Special Joys!

I LOVE YOU as do MANY others and we are ALL Praying for YOU and your family!

KEEP writing as that is healing in and of itself and KNOW you and Todd ARE The Parents Sarah needs or God would not have given her to you.

Love Always, Teresa